The concept of Digital Signature was introduced to certify or authenticate any documents by the individual. Through digital signature, the individual is accepting the content of the papers, its obligation, knowledge, and the content of the material, including endorsing its legal validity.
The traditional signature by the pen is permanently affixed on the specific document is the mark of proof of the uniqueness of the authenticity of that individual who has signed. It is a known fact the two similar signatures by two individuals cannot be the same.
Therefore, for the physical witness and self-identification & authentication, the legal importance of signature is critical, and at present individual signature by the pen is continued and legally approved.
However, in the advent of broader digital progression and gradual conversion of communications through the digital mechanism, the importance of Electronic or Digital Signature is increasing.
It is being felt like the need for the time & system of Electronic or Digital Signature has been introduced. Both the Electronic or Digital signature is legally valid. Like if you have bought the best trimmer line, then electronic/digital signature will signify that you have bought this purchase if you buy online via your digital footprint registered against your all banking and id details.
An Electronic signature is an electronic form of sound, symbol, or process which is referred to associated with data and having similar legal Lucas Standee like a manual signature. The Electronic Signature is also called e-signature, is favored by the users because of its user-friendly nature. It is convenient for the users as by one click in the mouse. An electronic signature can be recorded; moreover, it is equally economical as it does not need paper, ink, cartridges, etc. It merely is functioning through an electronic mail system.
However, Electronic Signature has specific weaknesses and drawbacks, like:
- An electronic signature is image-based by the placement of the image on the documents. This has every possibility of getting tampered.
- The electronic signature does not have any secure code like a Digital signature. It means the technology identity the signatory is protected, & the document on which it has been used is secured.
- An electronic signature is dependent upon the user to create his vendor and cannot be regulated like Digital signatures.
- Electronic signature has got some loopholes that must be checked with the vendors to know whether their document has been tampered with. If the tampering is observed and if the user decides to change the vender, then the user will lose those signatures that are stored on the vendor’s server.
The Digital Signature is an electronic process of validating the authenticity and integrity of a message of a digital document or software through the usage of a mathematical technique. The method of working of Digital signature is based on two mutually authenticated cryptographic keys.
The Digital signature has an advantage that the user can have their private key to encrypt signature. Related data can be decrypted only by the public key of the user. Therefore, the Digital signature is free from the problem of tampering in digital communications.
The Digital signature is equally acceptable similar to a handwritten signature or stamped seal and legally valid. It is advisable that the user who has created his Digital signature must keep his private key secret. You should protect it from fraudulent activities; otherwise, if it is made public, then there will be every chance of fraudulent activity. These fraudulent activities can damage the interest of the user who generated the Digital signature.
The Digital signature is another kind of electronic signature with more security than the traditional Electronic Signature. The Digital signature has certain distinct advantages over Electronic Signature. So, it is recommended to buy digital signature than buying an electronic signature, which has got some issues.
- When the digital signature is used to authenticate a document endorsing the identity of the user/sender, which is permanently embedded into the report, and the material cannot tamper. The user does not have to depend upon the vender for verification.
- The Digital signature has a distinct advantage as it is accepted internationally as the standards of security measure through the Digital signature.
- The Digital signature is also an electronic form of a name that is working with the process of cryptography, whereas Electronic Signature is a legal term. Since the digital signature is more secured with code, therefore, legally, it is more valid. Moreover, obtaining a Digital signature online has to be backed by government authorization through certification.
- The advantage of the Digital signature is by the technology it streamlines the process of document integration; therefore, it is more favorable even for the Government institution.
- The Digital signature cannot tamper unless and until the private key of the user is made public and not kept a secret. Whereas the Electronic Signature can always be altered, and the vendor can control it.